Saturday 12 September 2009

Taking a Huge Bite

The Vampire Diaries' first episode drew in the biggest audience for a debut, for the CW, with 4.8m viewers. With an opening that let's you know that this isn't your ordinary teen show, it sets itself apart from the off.

Many have called it the Twilight of TV but for me that's an unfair comparison. There were vampire stories before Twilight and there will be more after. Let's not forget that Buffy The Vampire Slayer was popular with the teen market. With Twilight being the hot commodity at the moment, it was obvious that comparisons would be made.

Both are based on books but unlike Twilight, I've not read any of the books so I come with no pre conceptions of what to expect.

Having seen Nina Dobrev on Degrassi: The Next Generation, for the past couple of years, I wasn't expecting much as she played one of my least favourite characters. I was pleasantly surprised by her performance and the episode. Other than the interactions between Stefan and Elena, I was also intrigued by the dynamics between their respective siblings. The contrast between them makes for some good and interesting scenes and I hope this will play well throughout the whole season.

No comments:

Post a Comment