Saturday 26 September 2009

My Cancellation Predictions

"It lacks cohesion." A quote from the season opener of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. This is something that can be said of many shows on TV and is often thrown at new shows in particular.

I've watched most of the new shows that have been aired so far. I've taken a look at the ratings for their debut and in some cases, their second outing. I'm going to loosely predict what shows I think will be cancelled as well as predict some more established shows. The first one on my list was going to be The Beautiful Life but the plug was already pulled before I got the chance to write this.

Lets get one thing straight, though I'm predicting the following, it doesn't mean I necessarily dislike the shows that I've picked, as there are a couple that I like but still think they will be canned.

Ugly Betty - Now this hasn't even been shown yet and that is one of the points of why I feel it will be cancelled. This week ABC announced that Betty's season opener air date has changed. It was moved to Friday which is the least watched week day (I'm looking at it in terms of the highest viewed show per day). CBS so far has that night in the bag with Medium, Ghost Whisperer and Numbers. The viewers were already dwindling before this move.

Hank and The Middle - They're just not as good as ABC's other two new comedies Cougar Town and Modern Family. That and the ratings are reason enough.

Trauma/Mercy - I can't really choose between the two but I think one of them will go. My personal opinion is Mercy but Trauma had the worst debut. Not sure why NBC went for two new shows about the emergency services.

Cold Case - I like this show but there were rumours that this was up for the chop with Without A Trace and it was an either or decision. With CBS cutting costs in both primetime and daytime, I see this as one to go.

Dollhouse - Another show that I like but not enough people are watching this. It also doesn't help when SyFy's Stargate Universe and encores of shows already shown in the week get better rating numbers.

Smallville - I haven't watched this since the first season but like Ugly Betty, it has been moved to Friday. I don't see why it couldn't have been moved into The Beautiful Life's vacated spot instead of a Melrose Place rerun. These are the reasons I have this down plus the length of time it's had on air.

I've had to put the following in a separate section as if they were on any other network, I think these shows would be canned but as NBC's figures as a whole haven't been as good as CBS or ABC this week (in some cases Fox either) then it's hard to tell what they would actually get rid of.

Heroes - I really don't think I should have to explain this one as those that no longer watch it know why. It should have been cancelled last season but they persisted and gave it another go. The characters have become annoying, they've killed off some interesting and popular characters, it's lacked direction and decent story-telling and people are abandoning it fast, including many of my family and friends.

Parks and Recreation - I really like this show but it's the worst performer out of NBC's Thursday comedies.

The following ones I'm debating and could go either way depending on how they do further down the line. I won't go into my reasons, in some cases, you just have to watch them to know.

Eastwick
The Forgotten
Accidently On Purpose
Brothers
Till Death
Melrose Place
Castle

The last one I am mentioning is just what I think should end.
One Tree Hill - I think it should have ended last season as I think it was time and ended on a good note, which I mentioned in a previous post. Now it feels like they are just dragging things out. If you have to have Dan Scott married to Rachel Gatina and another Nathan may or may have cheated storyline, then you need to end it.

Obviously Lost isn't included in any of the lists, as we all know that it will be airing it's last season. I think it was good that they announced a couple of seasons ago the timeline for the show.

We shall see what shows are still on when I do this again, after the mid season shows have aired.

No comments:

Post a Comment