Saturday 26 September 2009

Not A Beautiful Life In The End

Before September has even ended and all the new fall shows were even given their first outing, we have already seen the first casualty. According to reports, The CW has cancelled The Beautiful Life after only two episodes.

The first episode managed to pull in around 1.4 million but the second episode struggled with 1 million. More than half of the viewers from it's lead in show, America's Next Top Model, decided to tune out of The CW. As somebody wrote, people seemed to be more interested in Tyra Banks trying to make a model than a show about models. To put it more into context, more people follow it's co producer, Ashton Kutcher, on Twitter than the combined ratings of both episodes.

I struggled to even write anything coherent about the first episode of The Beautiful Life so I was eager to see if any kind of reaction would come from episode two. With a build up of returning shows aired this week, I had put TBL aside to watch at the weekend. Before I had the chance to watch it, my mother told me that my prediction was right. After the ratings were released for Wednesday's shows I thought that it would be the first show to receive the chop.

Yes the ratings were poor but I think what made The CW act so quickly was probably the success of The Vampire Diaries. The network had already announced this week that they have ordered new scripts of Diaries, Melrose Place and given One Tree Hill a 22 episode order.

Melrose Place has also had less than flattering rating figures but only time will tell if this or another show will be next on the chopping block.

No comments:

Post a Comment