Thursday 9 September 2010

Must Be The Music a breath of fresh air?

I have to admit that when I first saw the promos for Must Be The Music, sceptical was one of the words to describe my reaction. I rolled my eyes at the prospect of yet another reality music show.

Though I enjoy the initial audition stages of X Factor and Idol, I have grown tired of the latter stages of both these shows. The endless theme nights including songs that are performed every year have made be lose interest in the live shows.

No matter how well a singer performs week after week or how much I like them, it doesn't guarantee I'll buy their music. Just because you do an outstanding version of a Mariah Carey or Beatles song doesn't mean I'll purchase your album.


Too many times I've been disappointed by the music these acts release. This is where 'Must Be The Music' is different. The acts have the opportunity to play their own music straight away and the audience get the chance to judge it from the start.

The show is due to air the third and final semi final and the audience are given the chance to buy any of the songs performed by the fifteen semi finalists, with them receiving all of the profits. This has already paid off having seen Pepper a Piano, a duo from the first semi final, reach number seven in the official charts.

From the second semi final, current sales figures are showing that Emma's Imagination might debut in the top ten also.

After my initial reaction, I've enjoyed the show. I like how it gives musicians a chance to showcase themselves fully and have their music available for the public to purchase.

Despite the show being on a digital channel, with viewing figures around 320,000, the chart position of Pepper and Piano shows this format can work.

I wonder what it would have been like if the songs were available on a physical format and not just downloads and if it was on one of the main channels that attract viewers in the millions. The real question is what kind of success will the eventual winner have.

No comments:

Post a Comment