Monday 14 December 2009

The World to Stop Turning

Though I thought the day would come soon, I never thought that the announcement of another soap being cancelled would be this year. As The World Turns has been cancelled by CBS, who broadcast Guiding Light for the last time in September. I've only ever watched a couple of episodes of this so I won't comment on that, but soaps are definitely becoming an endangered TV species.

Originally starting in 1956, the show will air for the last time on CBS in September 2010. This will leave CBS with two soaps and six across all networks. I thought that this announcement would come next year, so it didn't surprise me. What did surprise was the timing of the announcement.

Unfortunately money talks and this will leave many without a job. Soaps are an expensive business and it's been a well documented issue regarding contract negotiations and pay-cuts, amongst the actors. Networks want cheap programmes and this leans towards things like quiz shows.

I guess the next question is, what will be next. I don't think it will be another CBS show just yet. My money is on One Life To Live, though I think All My Children will give it a run for its money.

No comments:

Post a Comment