Wednesday 27 October 2010

Why Can't I Quit You?

So you've invested a few years of your life watching it, got to know the characters better than some of your family and friends but something doesn't feel right. The characters you've grown to love have become stunted, the stories are repetitive and you're left wondering what direction it can take.

The problem you have is that you can't seem to let go quite yet. How and when do you do it?

Do you feel like if you stop watching the show, that you either might miss something or it will get better. As the episodes go on, you keep saying 'the next time'; it will either get better or you will finally say goodbye. It's a problem I seem to be faced with every season - which shows will I continue to watch and which ones will I drop. The struggle continues throughout the year because there are certain shows I just can't seem to be able to shake off.



If you're like me, you might say "I'll watch it until the end of the season" you find that the season finale hooks you back in as you anticipate the conclusion. So once again, I ask how and when do you do it?

In May I had come to the decision about which returning shows I was going to drop - Gossip Girl, CSI, Desperate Housewives, Private Practice and Law & Order: SVU. I had even mentioned in a previous post that if One Tree Hill was renewed then I would drop it also. Somehow I just couldn't do it and I still can't because I want to see it to the end.

Out of my list, the only one I fully dropped after its finale was Private Practice. I've seen two episode of SVU's current season. I'm fully watching the other shows. Gossip Girl and Desperate Housewives pulled me back in with the casting of Katie Cassidy and Vanessa Williams. I have to admit that I've enjoyed Gossip Girl more this season then I did for all of last season.

For me the best way to say goodbye to a show is to rip it off like a band aid, quick and simple. There's one less show in an already packed TV schedule, one less show to moan about. Maybe even some time to check out another show that I haven't had time to catch before.

No comments:

Post a Comment