Friday 26 February 2010

Review: Skins - Freddie

Freddie and Effy are in their own indulgent, drug induced world. So much so that Freddie is neglecting his family, friends and studies. The latter sees him in a meeting with Mr Love (Educational Intervention), played by Will Young. I felt just as uncomfortable as Freddie was, watching this scene; the Michael Jackson references didn't help nor did the slight reference to Young's song, 'Leave Right Now'.



Freddie spends the episode struggling with the past, concerning his mother, and the present, with how Effy is behaving; both women have more in common than he would have wished for.

I'm not going into the specifics of the episode on purpose, all I will say is that they tackle a big subject. I feel like they are trying to get an emotion from the audience that they achieved from one of the episodes in series two.

I would really like to know how much time had passed from last week's episode and this week's. Effy has always been intense but she seemed like a completely different person and I feel like I had missed an episode.

This episode left me scratching my head. I commend the effort of tackling the storyline but in the context of the series, it seemed disconnected at times. Other main characters were thrown in at brief moments but I don't think they helped the story. I was expecting more with the character Mr Love and it left me feeling flat.

I think Freddie's scenes with his grandfather and father could have been slightly extended to help him, and us, understand more what his father went through with his mother. I feel this was an important element to why Freddie wanted to tackle things on his own.

Next week it's JJ's episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment