Sunday 23 May 2010

Lost for the Final Time

The wait is nearly over and soon the last episode of Lost will be aired.

Some have been billing it the television event of the year and further proof of how momentous it is, the episode will be simulcast over parts of the world when it's aired at the same time as the U.S. West Coast.

Sky1 in the UK, Fox Italia and Telecom Italia in Italy, Cuatro Spain, Fox Spain and Portugal, Digiturk Turkey, HOT Israel will broadcast the airing despite the time difference. While CTV Canada will broadcast the finale at the same time as the U.S. East Coast. Other international networks will air the finale in 24-48 of the broadcast.

It's hard to fathom the significance of this simulcast which is normally reserved for award shows and sport events. I do wonder if other shows that have a big international audience will get the same chance to broadcast their final episode.

One thing that has helped this show is the fact there was a clear time frame for when the show was to end. Heroes, which was also an international hit was recently cancelled. If a rumoured 2 hour movie does happen will NBC do the same?

Over the past six seasons I've enjoyed the unexplained elements of Lost. There are many things that I don't understand and I'm not sure I ever will. I believe there are questions that won't be answered in the finale. Regardless of this I've enjoyed the whole series from the smoke monster to polar bears, time jumping to flash forwards, backwards and sideways.

One day I'll sit down and watch all the episodes over again and I'm sure I'll discover things that I missed the first time. Until then I've got my snacks ready to enjoy the ride for one final time.

No comments:

Post a Comment